topleft
topright

Login or Register

Red-Hot Thread

"The corporate brand is not only used to improve competitive positioning and express company aspirations, it can also be a powerful tool to motivate employees."
CFOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Health-care reform verdict? People are cattle (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Health-care reform verdict? People are cattle
Re:Health-care reform verdict? People are cattle 4 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Seriously, at least there was some good news yesterday that the CBO said the Baucus bill was fiscally responsible. As I heard one commentator on the NewsHour say, the healthcare reform bill(s) is like a big blog that is moving forward at 4 miles an hour, but moving nonetheless.

Want to start a betting pool for exactly when the President signs a new bill into law?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Health-care reform verdict? People are cattle 4 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2  
RedConn--I have another industry with hikes as high as health care and college education--summer camps. My son's is up 10% this year.

But I can't think of any other industries. While we're at it, why is it that higher education gets away with these increases?

Well, it looks like the health-insurance industry isn't satisfied stripping the public option from the Baucus bill. Now it's attacking the penalties for those who don't purchase health insurance. The insurers want much higher fines than what's currently proposed.

Geez, any thing else we can do for you? How 'bout we remove all provisions from the bill except the one that requires folks to buy insurance from private carriers. And why we're at it, we'll make sure nobody who actually might need health insurance buys it.

Meanwhile, employers continue to pay more and more to provide workers with medical coverage. What a joke.

Well, part of the plan is, indeed, to require everybody to buy health insurance, so when you hear the industry saying "it won't work unless people are forced to buy health insurance," it's a, uh, red herring, I believe would be the term.

Anybody catch SNL this week? Instead of Barack Obama we had big-bad "The Rock" Obama, who got miffed and grew muscular, enraged and caveman aggressive before our very eyes. My favorite moment was when he made Max Baucus, champion of the Blue Dog Democrats, bark like a dog, before pitching him out the window.

And I believe Harry Reid and Olympic Snowe both wet themselves. Be kinda good to see that happen in real life, wouldn't it?

"Me want you get with public option!"

###

Meanwhile, according to a report on Workforce.com, employers are getting tougher on worker's health habits to help control insurance costs.

While smoking surcharges remain the most popular added premium assessment used, the size has grown significantly from a nominal fee when such surcharges were introduced several years ago to what many consider "real money" especially during a recession.

Some employers, according to Workforce.com have gone a step further, relegating employees who decline to take better care of themselves to health plans that provide less coverage.

More than half of employers plan to introduce or expand an existing wellness program next year to lower health costs, according to the 2009 Benefits & Talen Survey by Aon Consulting. Some 34% of them plan to either introduce or increase financial incentives for their wellness programs in 2010. Goodies avverage about $400 per employee per year, and include gift cards, merchandise, premium discounts, co-payment or deductible credits, and contributions to health savings accounts or health reimbursement arrangements.

Re:Health-care reform verdict? People are cattle 4 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
well there's a novel approach to health care: encourage people to engage in activities that keep them out of the hospital.

it's hard to calculate the dollar impact if most U.S. companies launched aggressive well-care programs. needless to say, it would eliminate a huge chunk of spending on the back end.

Go to top Post Reply