topleft
topright

Login or Register

Red-Hot Thread

"The corporate brand is not only used to improve competitive positioning and express company aspirations, it can also be a powerful tool to motivate employees."
CFOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Is your company saving cash? (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Is your company saving cash?
Re:Is your company saving cash? 4 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
yeah, I love this graf in that article:

"Many companies have no plans for the cash, beyond peace of mind. "They'd have to beat me over my head to get it out of my hands," says Charles McLane, Alcoa's chief financial officer."

Looks like that's what investors may have to do!

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
mcole ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Is your company saving cash? 4 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
Yes, that was a good line, Hilary.

The rally in the corporate bond market this year has certainly helped companies build their cash piles. I heard from several bond investors that although many companies raise debt in the bond market for M&A or to refinance existing debt, more and more companies are tapping the bond market simply for general corporate purposes. Rates are attractive and companies are taking advantage of cheap debt while they can, even if it means having to leave cash sit on balance sheet.

Re:Is your company saving cash? 4 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 2  
That's interesting. I wonder, have there been other times when companies have tapped the bond market for general purposes, not to fund a merger or refinance debt. That is, when this was widespread. If so, what was happening at that point and what was the effect? Or, is this an anomaly?

Re:Is your company saving cash? 4 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
The Corporate Executive Board today is urging executives to stay focused on cash management.

In this period of low consumer demand, fragile corporate balance sheets, and weak business models, explains Research Director Thomas Roberts, finance executives must precisely determine their company's cash obligations and usages (daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly), then juxtapose that against an accurate forecast of the cash generated by your firm. Incorporating prudent and disciplined cash management monitoring, forecasting, and usage is no longer optional; it is critical for survival.

Re:Is your company saving cash? 4 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
Looks like investors are finally confident enough in corporate balance sheets to start clamoring for some new capital spending to spur growth.

Of course, the market has rebounded much more quickly than the economy as a whole. I'm still not convinced companies are prepared to eat into their cash or even looking to raise much debt other than to refinance older debt.

Re:Is your company saving cash? 4 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0  
According to a survey released today by Grant Thorton, the majority of private U.S. companies are optimistic about the U.S. economy in 2010. Some 51 percent believe their company's revenues will rise in the coming year, 13 percent believe they will fall, and 36 percent believe they will stay the same.

That confidence will lead to investment -- with 54% targeting new markets; 53 percent improving workforce skills; and 44 percent, new products and services.

Go to top Post Reply